MSA/Icon SMI - No Grinches in Motwon this Christmas Eve!
Matthew Stafford gave the Detroit Metro area and the entire state of Michigan a great early Christmas present on Christmas eve: A guaranteed trip to the playoffs.
Stafford was on fire from the time he set foot in the stadium on Saturday: 29 of 36 for 373 yards and 3 TDs...and most importantly 0 INTs. And it wasn't all the Stafford to Johnson show either. More than six different Lions players had two receptions or more.
And the defense were able to stop the run and also keep Philip Rivers, who came into the game as hot as any quarterback in the league, in check too...intercepting him twice.
For the first time since 1978, the Lions were able to beat the Chargers...one more nasty streak cut down by these young upstart Leos.
Next week, the Lions will once again have another monster streak to cut down...Lambeau Field. Sure the Chargers streak was longer, but because the Lions play the Packers every year...and largely because of the Devil named "Favre"...this twenty year losing streak at Lambeau will get all the play this week.
But for a moment...let's enjoy their first trip to the post season....whew...I can't believe it. It's shocking really. Matthew Stafford has stayed healthy all year....silencing the boat loads of critics who claimed he was "injury prone." I'm sorry to say I was leaning toward getting on that boat myself...
1. Stafford now holds the single season passing records for yards, touchdowns and completions.
2. Stafford is still only 23 and there is still one game left this season.
3. Calvin Johnson now has the most receiving touchdowns for a Lion in a season, 15.
4. Stafford to Johnson, hopefully, knock on wood, will own all the Lions records in a few years...or at least all the ones that don't have "Sanders" or "Hanson" on them.
5. Merry Christmas everybody! And thanks to the Lions.